Gender, Women's Suffrage, and Political Power Conference (GWSPP)
This conference intends to have a particular focus on womxn of color and will conceptualize suffrage broadly as encompassing civic participation and political power within and outside of electoral politics, and will include a critical perspective on the role of white supremacy in the suffrage movement. There will also be a portion of the conference dedicated to women’s power in higher education, with a view to drawing links between the exclusion of diverse women’s voices in the academy, and women’s broader political power.
The GWSPP conference is timed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment in the United States, the 40th anniversary of the GenCen’s Gendered Perspectives on International Development Papers Series, the 30th anniversary of the Re-Visioning Knowledge and the Curriculum: Feminist Perspectives conference at MSU, and the 25th anniversary of the Institute for Research on Women and Gender at UMich.
- MSU's Center for Gender in Global Context (GenCen)
- MSU's Department of History
- University of Michigan's Institute for Research on Women and Gender.
- The Michael and Elaine Serling Institute for Jewish Studies and Modern Israel
- James Madison College at Michigan State University
- Michigan State University College of Law
- Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan
- University of Michigan's Department of History
- Michigan State University Asian Studies Center
- Michigan State University African Studies Center
- Michigan State University Muslim Studies Center
- Michigan State University College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Michigan Women's Commission
- Vote Run Lead
- Michigan Women Forward
November 18, 2020 at 12pm - November 21, 2020